Lupus and Blood Clots: Managing the Risk

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited December 2015 in Risks

Lupus article: Lupus and Blood Clots: Managing the RiskLupus and Blood Clots: Managing the Risk

Living with lupus SLE means living with an increased risk of blood clots. Clotting problems, oddly enough, occur more often with younger lupus patients.

Read the full story here

Comments

• At age 22 I told my ob gyn that I should not take birth control because of Lupus. She insisted it would be fine. 2 months later I developed a small blood clot in my arm. At 28 I was pregnant with my 4th child and the placenta clotted and I lost my son at 20 weeks. At 29 and pregnant with my 5th child I was put on baby aspirin. My son wasn't growing so I went to Hopkins where they determined I was having placenta problems again. I was taken off the baby aspirin and laid in the labor room for 8 days before they delivered my 1 lb. 5 oz. son by c-section. My leg hurt when I was discharged, but I thought it was from being in bed so long. Couple weeks later I was diagnosed with a DVT. That was 25 years ago and I am still on Coumadin. I would recommend anyone with Lupus to stay away from any kind of hormones. It's not worth the risk. Fyi dx with Lupus at age 15 and am now 54.
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @CarolB Wow, what a powerful story - thank you so much for sharing your experience with us Carol!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR